Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member LOUDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2010
    Posts
    193
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    O.G.,
    Here's what made me post that they may have been recones.
    In pic 3 and 5 you can see the glue bead around the dust cover. It's dull and almost perfect. Altec had a factory glue that they also put in their recone kits that laid a bead down like that. Even a novice could do a good job. The speaker in pic 2 and 4 has a sloppy
    bead with bubbles in it. This was what the Waldom glue did alot. We used to mix it with thinner to try and get a better/nicer glue bead out of it. I also thought that the gaskets were thicker than factory but on further inspection I was wrong.
    The fact that the seller didn't include the pix of the cone numbers also made me suspicious. You are correct about the number showing being a factory part.
    I did this also to try and protect a fellow board member from buying somthing that MAY not be original. Abe seems to be very paticular about Altecs.
    Hopefully I didn't offend anyone or screw up a deal.
    I wont post in the morning anymore either. At least not when I'm rushing out the door to work.:doh:

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to figure out if the Altecs in the auction are authentic! I really appreciate it!

    Yes, of course, if I am gonna spend my money, I like to get the original ones. The same reason why I posted my WTB inquiry here first before taking any action of acquring a pair myself. As I stated, I am not too familiar with the vintage Altec drivers and just learning bit by bit on my own.

    regards,

    Abe
    QNME In Retro!

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    I'm thinking about parting out my last pair of 9844A's, circa 1975, woofers are original 414-16B(newer style, stronger frame, black paint). Drop me a PM if you're interested in a pair of woofers.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #14
    HB Super Moderator
    WTB: Altec 414Z Pair


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    I am Hey Guys I think I'm addicted,to Altec Lansing,no matter how many Altec speakers I have it is Never enough !


    AB come on down your the next contestant on the Price Is Right !!

    Abe if you need them then they are all yours, as the post i think was for you.If you don't want them then I do I do.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    Thank you Bowtie, I really appreciate it! But educate me on this please. What is the Sensitivity of the 414-16B?

    I am looking for the 414Z because I believe it has 98~99 dB sensitivity as I research from this:
    The following is from Altec's 1966 "Specifications for Engineers and Architects" : "Pressure Sensitivity" of the 414A (same as the 414Z) is "99 dB (SPL at 4' from 1 watt)."

    In my application, every dB counts since I only have flea power amps.

    Best regards,

    Abe
    QNME In Retro!

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member
    WTB: Altec 414Z Pair


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    Quote Originally Posted by louder View Post
    O.G.,
    Here's what made me post that they may have been recones.

    Good stuff to know- Thanks!

    Anywhoo it may be one of each? since only one number is showing?
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member LOUDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2010
    Posts
    193
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    It could also be that one of the dust covers was replaced at one time. But the glue was the first thing that tipped me off. I can't remember the exact part number on the Altec glue (4380?) but it was so nice that when Altec ceased we actually tried to have it made. Couldn't trace it back though.
    Did A.B. ever get a e-mail back ? Or pix ?

  8. #18
    HB Super Moderator
    WTB: Altec 414Z Pair


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    Quote Originally Posted by louder View Post
    Did A.B. ever get a e-mail back ? Or pix ?
    Not yet !! But when or if I do I will post them here straight away !

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Kercher's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2006
    Posts
    41
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    I've got a pair of 414A drivers that came out of an old theater in Monterey. Pretty nice condition. Just send me a PM if you are interested.
    Dan

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: WTB: Altec 414Z Pair

    PM sent Dan!

    Thanks again!
    QNME In Retro!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.